Blogger Burnout

Burnout.

If you're a teacher, you probably know what I'm talking about! Mental exhaustion. Physical fatigue. Just being all kinds of tired... Can you relate?

Yup, that's why I haven't posted in over a year. My blogger brain was burned out and my inspiration as a teacher was drying up. Not that I didn't still LOVE teaching, but I was just.... stuck!

Why? Now that I look back, lots of reasons.

Creating a Thoughtful Classroom

>>> Losing my focus and comparing myself to other bloggers (never a good idea). Trying to blog about what I thought readers wanted instead of what I thought was important.

>>> Struggling with health issues that just literally made me feel bad, so I just didn't want to do a lot of things, including blogging.

>>> My inspirations were running low. I had been at the same (international) school for a while and I didn't realize I needed fresh eyes.

>>> Living outside the U.S. in a developing country started to take its toll on me.

If you're burned out, you probably need a break. Or a change. 

It's okay to take a step back. 

Or keep going and be patient with yourself until you realize exactly what you need.

Well, a lot has changed since I last posted. I moved to China for one thing!  And that obviously means I'm teaching at a new school. It's been an adventure, for sure, and there's been some bumps in the road, but as I look back, I realize it was just what I needed.

I've got a different perspective and some new interests, so I'm ready to start blogging again! I think there is a blog-face-lift on its way!

Creating a Thoughtful Classroom
As a blogger, you often wonder who actually reads what you write. You wonder if people are interested in what you're passionate about....

Well, I hope others can benefit from what I have to share, as well as contribute to a conversation about:

+ inquiry
+ the PYP (Primary Years Programme)
+ concept-based teaching
+ literacy (reading and writing workshop)
+ structured word inquiry (spelling in a meaningful way!)
+ mindfulness
+ and math, of course! I haven't forgotten about math!

What topics in teaching in learning interest you?

I'd love to read your comments!


4 comments

  1. I like hearing about teachers using an inquiry way of learning. We have Kath Murdock coming to our school in 3 days time to do a professional development day for teachers! Can't wait. Look forward to more from your blog. I have missed hearing from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynelle,
      You are so lucky to have Kath Murdoch coming! She's amazing! Where do you teach?
      Thanks for your sweet comment!

      Delete
  2. Karli, I know exactly what you're talking about. I'm a little overwhelmed as well as underwhelmed with my life as both a blogger and a teacher. Thanks for sharing your burnout experience with us. It makes so much sense, and I really needed it!! Have a wonderful school year. Tamara from whileiwasbusythinking.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tamara! Thanks for your sweet comment.What a great name for your blog! I saw your recent post about revitalizing your blog, too. I guess it happens to all of us, right?

      Delete

I love to connect through comments....
Thanks for being thoughtful!

Powered by Blogger.

Follow by Email

Back to Top