Friday, February 13, 2015

100th Day Math Centers and FREEBIES!


Why celebrate the 100th Day of School? Well, it's great time for students to reflect upon how far they have come and how much they have learned! It's also a fun way to have students focus on place value and quantity. I choose to focus mostly on math related activities on our 100th Day. Here's what we did....
100th Day Math Centers, Creating a Thoughtful Classroom

I set up a rotation replacing our normal "M.A.T.H." stations with 100th day related activities, some of which I found from other bloggers :) My kids' groups are color teams, so I wrote this "fancy" rotation chart on my white board:
100th Day Math Centers, Creating a Thoughtful Classroom
Students spent 18 minutes at each station before switching. I was short for time due to our schedule that day; 20-25 minutes should have been better, but we managed.

"100 Kisses" was an idea I got from Cara Carroll at The First Grade Parade. After students sorted the kisses, I had 100 charts with missing numbers for theTm to complete if they finished early.
100th Day Math Centers, Creating a Thoughtful Classroom

The next station was from Amber at School is a Happy Place, "100th Day, Yes or No Way". She always has lots of great activities that she shares for free. Here, students used the base ten blocks to check if equations were equal to 100. They also recorded their findings on a complementary sheet.
100th Day Math Centers, Creating a Thoughtful Classroom
100th Day Math Centers, Creating a Thoughtful Classroom


I whipped up this next station with some clip art from Krista Walden, "EYE Love the 100th Day." Students colored a monster and added 100 googly eyes- no simple task as I asked them to think about how they could arrange or group the eyes to help them keep track of the total. If I had a do-over, I would have had my students color or paint their monsters the day before to save time. My teammate had her kids watercolor their monsters and they came out really bright and fun!
100th Day Math Centers, Creating a Thoughtful Classroom
100th Day Math Centers Creating a Thoughtful Classroom

100th Day Math Centers Creating a Thoughtful Classroom
Click HERE to grab a copy for yourself- Just enlarge it when photocopying!

Lastly, the favorite station was "Tallying Skittles". This took a little prep time- counting out 100 Skittles per snack bag. It took 4 large bags of skittle for my class of 14 students.
100th Day Math Centers Creating a Thoughtful Classroom
100th Day Math Centers Creating a Thoughtful Classroom

Students would tally each Skittle as they took it out of the baggie, and then sort them on the mat. Once done, they went back and counted each color to check and see if their tallies were correct. Of course, I let them take their Skittles home as a treat! The next day, they recorded their totals and ordered the numbers from least to greatest.
100th Day Math Centers Creating a Thoughtful Classroom

Click HERE to grab this freebie from my TpT shop. Please leave some feedback while you're there- I'd REALLY appreciate it!

So, how do you celebrate the 100th day in your class?

Thanks for stopping by!
Signature photo ScreenShot2013-04-26at54143PM.png

4 comments:

  1. Karli your Monster Freebie is terrific! My little one will love this! Thank you!

    ~Cristina

    http://aisforadventuresofhomeschool.blogspot.com/2015/02/presidents-day.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such cute ideas.Thanks so much for sharing.
    Arlene
    LMN Tree

    ReplyDelete

I love to connect through comments....
Thanks for being thoughtful!