Sunday, May 11, 2014

Symmetry Mentor Text

I'm sharing a math mentor text today for Collaboration Cuties' linky! It's Seeing Symmetry by Loreen Leedy.


Loreen Leedy is a talented artist/author of several math-related titles. This one explains how symmetry is all around us. Since I teach first, I chose not to read through the whole book, and focused only on the beginning pages; while the books has lots of fantastic examples and explains symmetry well, it's not the best fit for first graders (in my opinion). It's perfect for fourth grade and is aligned to the CC Standards. I still felt it was a valuable resource for discussing symmetry with my kids, and they loved the illustrations.

In class, we discussed the line of symmetry and I gave each student a die-cut shape. They needed to determine if it was symmetrical or not, and then turn and talk with a partner to explain why or why not. It started a great conversation. Here's our not-so-fancy T-chart!
In case you don't know, Loreen Leedy has a TpT shop and it includes lots of teaching resources for symmetry including a freebie companion to this book!

Be sure to check out the Must-Read Mentor Text linky for other helpful suggestions for math literature.
Enjoy your week!
Signature photo ScreenShot2013-04-26at54143PM.png

3 comments:

  1. It looks like a pretty cool book, despite being for older kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. Lorren Leedy is a very talented illustrator!
      :)
      Thanks for stopping by, Barb! Hope you are enjoying your spring!

      Delete
  2. I so should have used this book BEFORE state testing! I only touched on it because, quite frankly, I was way behind in math. If I had read the book, my kids might have actually understood symmetry! I'll have to get this for next year!
    Thanks for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete

I love to connect through comments....
Thanks for being thoughtful!