Butterfly Life Cycle- Science Mentor Text

Today I'm linking up with Collaboration Cuties for my favorite "Must Read Mentor Text" weekly link party to share a science related title, Waiting for Wings, by Lois Ehlert. It's an excellent read aloud to include in your butterfly life cycle unit!

Here is Amazon's synopsis:
Every spring, butterflies emerge and dazzle the world with their vibrant beauty. But where do butterflies come from? How are they born? What do they eat--and how?
With a simple, rhyming text and glorious color-drenched collage, Lois Ehlert provides clear answers to these and other questions as she follows the life cycle of four common butterflies, from their beginnings as tiny hidden eggs and hungry caterpillars to their transformation into full-grown butterflies. Complete with butterfly and flower facts and identification tips, as well as a guide to planting a butterfly garden, this butterfly book is like no other.


This book is perfect for K-2 classrooms, and I'd even share it with older students because of the magical rhymes Ehlert uses to explain the life cycle of a butterfly- a kind of nonfiction poetry! Besides, there's helpful factual information included at the end of the book.

Here how it starts:

I love how Ehlert uses smaller pages at the beginning, like we are actually peeking through the leaves to see the eggs she's describing! How cool! (I marked the pages here so you can get a better view).


The collage is just brilliant!


One page at the end highlights the four types of butterflies that Ehlert includes in the book...


...and there's also this page with a labeled diagram, and facts about butterflies and the flowers to which they are attracted .


I don't know how I missed this book back when we were studying life cycles in the fall, but I'll surely be using it next year! Do you have a favorite science mentor text for teaching life cycles?
Signature photo ScreenShot2013-04-26at54143PM.png

4 comments

  1. These illustrations look gorgeous! Very eye catching! When I student taught, life cycles was my favorite unit! I miss it! Thanks for linking up!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's fun to teach life cycles because the kids are SO engaged! One of my favorites, too!

      Delete
  2. Lois Ehlert has some of the most beautiful books!

    ReplyDelete

I love to connect through comments....
Thanks for being thoughtful!

Powered by Blogger.

Follow by Email

Back to Top