Sunday, January 12, 2014

2D Shapes & Geometry Mentor Text

Hi everyone! We're just starting our second week back from the break, and after finishing some portfolio reflections, our class has just started a geometry unit. Today I'm linking up with Collaboration Cuties to share a great story that illustrates the relationships between 2D shapes in a clever way, A Cloak for the Dreamer!




This book has been around the block, and then some- it was first published in 1994, so you may know it. Your school or local library is sure to have it! What I like about A Cloak for the Dreamer is that it really reads as a story, a fairytale, albeit without the princess or her knight in shining armour! Students are drawn into the story and I feel like the real-life math application is a seamless fit, not forced like some math literature.

Here's the editorial review from Amazon mixed with some of my pics from inside the book:

Ivan and Alex want to be tailors like their father, but youngest brother Misha dreams of travel. When each son must fashion a cloak for the archduke, Ivan sews one using rectangles of fabric. 



Alex makes a cloak of squares and an extra cloak of triangles. 



But Misha's disastrous cloak of circles demonstrates the geometrical concept that shapes must have angles to fit together. 



Seeing that Misha's heart lies elsewhere, the tailor frees his son to travel the world. As a farewell gift, the tailor presents Misha with the fateful cloak, whose circles he has snipped into snug-fitting hexagons and then restitched. 



Plus, the book has a couple pages at the back with suggestions for teachers and parents.


The only thing that I don't like about this book is the ending- it's very abrupt and should have had more closure.

Like I said, we are just starting out geometry unit, so plans for quilt making are on the horizon! I'm sure my students will love designing their own quilt patterns- I'll be writing about that in a future post.

I hope you found this book suggestion helpful. Do you have any favorite books for introducing geometry with your students?

Thanks for stopping by!

Signature photo ScreenShot2013-04-26at54143PM.png

4 comments:

  1. This looks like a great book to use to review 2-D shapes with my kiddos. Thanks for a new suggestion! I love reading The Greedy Triangle to my kiddos when we are doing geometry as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the illustrations, and it looks like a wonderful book! Thanks so much for sharing. I will put it on my list for introducing geometry this year!

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N' Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen this book! It does sound like a great story that isn't too math-y! I love this! I'm going to check to see if my media center has it!

    Thanks so much for linking up! Have a great week!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. I'm pinning this to use with my own geometry unit. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love to connect through comments....
Thanks for being thoughtful!