Thanksgiving Day Parade- Social Studies Mentor Text

What are your Thanksgiving Day traditions? I remember always starting off the holiday by watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade on TV. As a child, I loved seeing what balloons they would have- each year a new popular character would make its debut. Have you ever wondered where those larger-than-life balloons came from?

Today I'm linking up with Collaboration Cuties to share a social studies/Thanksgiving mentor text that tells the inspiring story of Tony Sarg, the creator and inventor of balloon puppets for the Macy's Day Parade!



Balloons Over Broadway is written by Caldecott Award winning author/illustrator, Melissa Sweet. She is amazingly talented and her collage work gives the book a magical, whimsical feel. This nonfiction biography is made to feel like a storybook- sure to captivate an audience of students!

Amazon.com

Sarg's life is truly fascinating. He was a creative child, and that same ingenuity stayed with him later on in life when he was first asked to make something "spectacular" for the Thanksgiving Day Parade. Take a peek at a couple of the beginning pages from the Amazon preview....

Amazon.com

Amazon.com

















Not only is this book a great Thanksgiving read aloud, I use it to discuss the concepts of creativity and problem solving with students. Sarg had to "think outside of the box" on many occasions. I also really love that it's a story of one man's passion, and the fact that he could pursue his passion for art and puppetry throughout his life is truly inspirational! 

Be sure to hop on over to Collaboration Cuties and check out some other great mentor texts for social
studies!

Thanks for stopping by.... and have a VERY Happy Thanksgiving!


Signature photo ScreenShot2013-04-26at54143PM.png

4 comments

  1. I love this book...such a great story. I normally grab a copy from the library but they are all gone already this year. :( Looks like I am going to need to order one for myself for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this book before, I'll have to check it out. I love the parade!

    Sara :)
    The Colorful Apple

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! This looks super cute!! I have never seen this book before! I think it's great you use this to spark creativity! Sometimes it's hard for kinds to find their creative spirit! Thanks so much for linking up!

    Have a great week!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been surfing online greater than three hours today, yet
    I never discovered any fascinating article like yours. It is beautiful price enough
    for me. In my opinion, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you probably did,
    the internet can be a lot more useful than ever before.


    My blog post: Beats By Dre

    ReplyDelete

I love to connect through comments....
Thanks for being thoughtful!

Powered by Blogger.

Follow by Email

Back to Top