Monday, July 1, 2013

Monday Made It- FREEBIE Line Up Song Poster & Let's Get Acquainted Linky!

OK, I'm multi-tasking with today's post! TWO linky parties :)

First up.... I'm linking up with Tara from 4th Grade Frolics for "Monday Made It" to share a freebie with you.
Now that I've had a bit of summer break to relax, I'm thinking about getting ready for next year (I'm sure you're doing the same!) Getting your routines and procedures into place is one of the most important things to do at the beginning of the school year. Lining up is one of many classroom procedures, and all of you early primary teachers out there know that being first (the line leader) is the most coveted position to be had in a kinder or first grade classroom! In order to avoid an unnecessary line drama, I institute a "line order" which is just the class list organized alphabetically. (Sorry, I don't have a picture!) I create a poster listing the names, and I mark the "line leader" with a clothespin that moves down to a new name each day (insert speech about fairness and taking turns here!) Whenever any arguments start to brew ("I was here first!") I just refer my little angels to the chart- the "line order" becomes the last word!

I also made up a little song, "Ready for the Hall," for the kids to sing while they're lining up for recess, lunch or wherever we need to go. It reminds them of what they should be doing so it helps prevent pushing and shoving. In honor of Monday Made It, I created this cute little poster of "Ready for the Hall" to share with you. I plan to post a copy next to the door as a friendly reminder. I hope it helps your kiddos line up quickly and calmly.  :)

Click to download a copy!
Do you have any tips or tricks for teaching routines and procedures?

Now, let's get to know each other! I'm still new to the blogging world, so I'm happy to meet new people through Latoya from Flying into First Grade and her Let's Get Acquainted Linky!




I love the tic-tac-toe idea! I'm going down the column on the right.

*Dream Vacation- This one is REALLY hard because I love to travel! I think it'd be an around-the-world adventure with three stops: 
Click for source: lonelyplanet.com

1) Australia! I spent the first semester of my senior year of college for student teaching and I just fell in love with that country! My two favorite memories were snorkeling up in Cairns at the Great Barrier Reef and seeing "Carmen" at the Sydney Opera House! Australia is such a unique country with so many things to see and do. There are fabulous cities like Sydney and Melbourne, and then there's the outback and rain forest up north. (am I sounding like a travel agent? :0) I really want to go back with my family some day (sooner than later).
Click for source:layoutsparks.com

2) Paris! Who doesn't want to see the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre? I've never been to France and would simply love to see it!
Click for source:atwentysomethingmum.blogspot.ca

3) The Maldives! I'd finish my around-the-world tour with a relaxing last stop in the Maldives. Do I really need to explain after that picture? :)

*Books I'm Reading- I tend to be a bit distractible overzealous with my professional reading so I'm really trying to just focus on one book at a time right now and it is...

I'm halfway through Talk About Understanding by Ellin Oliver Keene, and it's amazing! I'll definitely be blogging about it. She writes about the need to expect deeper understanding from our students, not just going-through-the-motions strategy use. Also, it comes with a DVD of Ellin modeling reading lessons- how awesome is that?! Click on the image to find out more. :)

*Hobbies- Blog stalking: The best thing about summer is that I've had a lot more time to check out so many wonderful teaching blogs, and pick up new ideas. The worst thing about summer is that I've had a lot more time to check out so many wonderful teaching blogs and I think my eyeballs might fall out from reading so much off this screen!!!!
Working out: This is the other passion in my life aside of teaching. I made working out a habit back in high school, and it's part of my lifestyle. I love the way it helps me stay healthy, deal with stress, and even think of random teaching ideas! hee, hee! I love weight and circuit training (I'm an "Insanity" graduate- yeah, I earned it!) and Pilates (I used to teach at the YMCA, and now hold classes for the teachers at my school).

So I hope you learned a little more about me- I can't wait to read about others through Latoya's linky.

Lastly, as I sit in the Toronto airport awaiting my flight to Kingston for my word study workshop with Pete Bowers of The WordWorks Literacy Centre, I would like to wish all of my Canadian friends and fellow bloggers a very Happy Canada Day! Happy 146th Birthday!
Click for source:http://www.strathcona.bc.ca/2011/07/01/happy-canada-day/


Signature photo ScreenShot2013-04-26at54143PM.png

5 comments:

  1. Paris really is amazing! I haven't been for years but I love the city, especially the Musee d'Orsay. I share the love of Australia although I haven't ever been!

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paris is beautiful...especially in the rain. Also, the Eiffel Tower is all it is cracked up to be. After seeing Stonehenge, I was worried the Tower was just another tourist trap, but it was wonderful! Plus, all the lights twinkled in the rain - stunning. :)

    Catherine
    The Brown-Bag Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted to go to Australia! One day. :-) New follower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to go to all of those places and many more...if only teachers made millions, I could:)
    -Abby
    Mrs. Saunders' Lovelies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! Your dream vacation pics made me long to go to those places too. :)
    ~Brandee
    Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete

I love to connect through comments....
Thanks for being thoughtful!