Thursday, July 11, 2013

Liebster Award

Hi friends! Bria from Teaching in Chaos and Wendy from Read with Me ABC both nominated me for the Leibster Award which is basically for new bloggers (that'd be me) Liebster is a German word that means "dearest," "lovely," or "cute." The purpose of this award is to recognize new blogs that are worth a look. How cool! :) Thanks, ladies!


To accept the nomination I need to:

  • Link back to the blogs that nominated me
  • Nominate 5-11 blogs with fewer than 200 followers
  • Answer the questions posted for me by my nominator
  • Share 11 random facts about me
  • Create 11 questions for my nominees
  • Contact my nominees and let them know of their nomination

Questions from Bria:

1. Why did you become a teacher? I think it's in the genes! My mom was a teacher for 30 years and I used to love going to school with her. I'd also play school with my neighborhood friends :) They'd say I was too bossy! LOL! It was true :)
2. What is your favorite picture book? Oh man, this is hard! My favorite book of all time is The Diggingest Dog by Al Perkins. I must have read it a million times as a kid! I felt SO BAD for that dog!

3.  Who inspires you the most? My students inspire me. I love the see their progress over the course of the year!
4. If you could meet a famous person who has already died, who would it be and why? I would have to say Martin Luther King Jr. He has been a hero of mine since childhood. He was ahead of his time- I think it is amazing what has been accomplished since his death- His life has had a lasting impact on our country.
5. What is your favorite candy? Basically I love anything CHOCOLATE, but Twix is my fav!
6. What is your favorite holiday you celebrate in your classroom? This is a little different in my case... since I teach at an International school, I love that we celebrate United Nations Day because everyone comes to school in their national dress. The younger ones are especially cute!! I also love what UN Day represents- strength and unity in diversity, and that sums up my school perfectly. It's an amazing place!
7. Why did you start your blog? I started my blog to share ideas with other teachers, and in the process reflect and improve upon my teaching.
8. What is one thing in your closet you could never give away? I don't think there's anything I couldn't part with- believe me, the stuff in my closet isn't that great! I would not consider myself a fashionista!
9. What is your favorite beverage? My favorite beverage is a frozen strawberry margarita with salt! Chips and queso on the side, please!
10. What are three things that you love about the state you live in? Well, I don't live in the States. I live in Bangladesh :) The last state I lived in was Texas and I loved (1) the big blue sky & wide open space, (2) BBQ! and (3) football!
11. What is your favorite thing in our classroom? My favorite thing in my classroom is library. It's been a labor of love! I'm lucky enough to lots of books, all of which I labeled by genre. It was a big job, but worth every minute when I see my students using the library :)


Questions from Wendy:

1.  Tell us about your family. I am married to my wonderful husband, Mike. We have 4 kids: London & Ariel are "grown"college graduates and Jalen and Payton are will be in 9th and 6th grades respectively. We are a close-knit bunch who love sports and travel. :)
2.  Where did you go on your last vacation? I last went to Colombo, Sri Lanka for Jalen's championship track meet. We teach at an international school so the meets are actually in other countries- I think it's pretty cool! They won the meet by the way, so that was awesome :)
3.  Coke or Pepsi? (regular) Coke, (diet) Pepsi- weird, huh?
4.  What's the last movie you watched? I just took Payton to Despicable Me 2. I thought it was really good- especially for a sequel.
5.  Favorite store to shop in? Target! I can ALWAYS find something in Target that I never knew I needed or wanted!
6.  What would you pick as your last meal? Fried pork chops smothered in gravy over mashed potatoes with lots of butter with a side of broccoli and cheese! Of course, there'd be dessert- a warm chocolate brownie topped with vanilla ice cream. If it's my last meal, I'm not counting calories!!!
7.  Top three blogs you read? I read all the blogs that I follow pretty consistently, but I most often go to Collaboration Cuties, Creating Lifelong Learners and Ideas by Jivey.
8.  Share a quote that is meaningful to you. "Complaining is like a rocking chair; it gives you something to do, but gets you nowhere."
9.  What super power would you like to possess?  Well, I used to have Wonder Woman underoos when I was five, so I'd like to have super human strength and still look cute in go-go boots! (If you're too young to know what underoos are, let me hook you up...)

Anyone own a pair of these? LOL!

10. Name one item you can't live without. Carmex! You know, the lip stuff in the yellow tube. I must have it with me, always!
11.  Tell us a funny school story. This true story is what I always share as my most embarrassing moment, so enjoy...My first year teaching I forgot to zip my fly and then sat cross-legged in a small group circle. I had no idea that my students could see my hot pink undies! I finally looked down and noticed and the all lost it! I had to leave the room for a second because I was SO mortified! Luckily, they were a good natured class and they never brought it ip again :)



11 Random facts about me:

1. I'm named after my grandfather, Karl.
2. I'm addicted to the show "The First 48" on A&E.
3. I have a bad sweet tooth that I have to watch (because I also love to bake!)
4. My first job besides babysitting was at Burger King.
5. I'm scared of snakes- they freak me out.
6. I can be really indecisive- it's probably one of my most irritating traits, especially if you shop with me!
7. I actually LOVE going to the gym :)
8. I hate mushrooms and fish.
9. I don't believe in luck and I'm not superstitious.
10. I must have 1 cup of (strong) coffee after waking up, every day!
11. I am so thankful for my husband and kids! They are the best part of my life!!!

I'd like to nominate:
1. Bridget from Hard Core Teacher Resources
2. KaSandra from Memories Made in First
3. Matt from Digital Divide and Conquer
4. Sammy from Fearless in First
5. Brittany from Excelling in Second

Here are my questions for them:
1. What's your favorite thing about teaching?
2. What's 1 thing you learned about yourself from blogging?
3. What's your favorite movie?
4. Where would you go on a dream vacation? Why?
5. Name a quote or saying you try to live by.
6. What's the most important quality in a friend?
7. What's your favorite hobby (non-school related!)
8. What's the most important quality for a teacher to have?
9. Who has been the most inspirational person in your life? How?
10. What's your favorite meal?
11. What's your favorite school day snack (coffee, chocolate)?

Thanks for reading more about me! Don't forget to check out the other interesting blogs above!!

Signature photo ScreenShot2013-04-26at54143PM.png

2 comments:

  1. Karli,

    Sadly, I am old enough to remember underoos! I LOVE your quote! I'm a gym junkie too. :)

    Your "funny story" is very similar to mine...

    One day at the guided reading table, I noticed that none of my children would look up at me during our lesson. Weird! After completing ALL four groups (20 min. each), I discovered that I had popped a button and that my houndstooth push-up 'garment' was on display. To make matters worse, I had a volunteer DAD in the classroom the entire time. To this day, that is my most embarrassing teaching moment. :/

    Thanks for sharing...it was fun getting to know you better!
    Wendy
    Read With Me ABC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy, I like your story- WAY better than mine!!! Ha, ha, ha!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love to connect through comments....
Thanks for being thoughtful!