Thursday, July 25, 2013

Class Charts- Behavior Management System

Today I'm killing two (technology) birds with one stone! I'm linking up with Sarah from The Eager Teacher for Teachers Talking Tech on Thursdays (guess I didn't get the memo- that was a no go today!) AND Kristin from I Teach 1:1 & Aylin and Amanda from Learning to the Core for Tune into Technology!

Aylin & Amanda are sharing great ideas about how to organize and manage your technology resources- well, what about technology that helps you organize your student grouping/seating and document behavior?

Is anyone familiar with ClassCharts? It's similar to ClassDojo, but is more geared for use in middle school and high school classes (in my opinion). While I teach 1st grade and rarely have my students sitting at assigned seats, I still felt that this site was worth sharing; I see some real benefits for teachers that must manage multiple classes, especially with a large number of students, or with many behavior issues.


Here are the basics about ClassCharts:

  • First of all, ClassCharts is FREE! We like that! You may know keep reading :)
  • You access ClassCharts through an internet-enabled device, such as a laptop or tablet. A smartphone app is also in the works- until then you'd use the internet on your phone.
  • ClassCharts comes to us from the U.K. It is set up based on seating charts that the teacher creates. Say you teach middle school science and have three (or more) different grades/sections, you can create different seating plans for each class to group students according to need, behavior, learning style or even the kind of lesson you'll be teaching (a lab vs. a lecture, for example).You can also add student information (reading level) which is available at a glance. I think that ClassCharts would be a great behavior and organizational tool for managing a large volume of students! 
  • You can customize behaviors for which you want or need to document.
  • ClassCharts allows you to collaborate and share information about students with other teachers. I think this may be particularly helpful in cases where a student has an IEP or is on a behavior plan; you'd want to keep the lines of communication open.
  • Lastly, ClassCharts has a several ways in which to report data for sharing with students, parents and administrators- fantastic!

Check out their website and try it out for yourself, or spread the word to your secondary-teacher friends!
Don't forget to visit these other linky parties for great tech ideas!

Thanks for stopping by!
Signature photo ScreenShot2013-04-26at54143PM.png

7 comments:

  1. Thanks so much Karli for sharing this great website! I took a look at Class Charts and you are right so many great ways to help you organize your classroom! I am going to definitely share this with my brother is a 5th grade teacher (he told me Class Dojo is a little too cutesy for his kids!!) Thanks so much for linking up!

    Amanda
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great resource! Thanks you for sharing!
    Erin
    Short and Sassy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always looking for new apps. Thanks, Karli!
    I've been enjoying your blog.
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been on the fence about starting Class Dojo. This looks like a great alternative. Thanks for linking up with us.:)
    Kristin
    iTeach 1:1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing this website. I have started Class Dojo before, but I don't have any follow through. I teach 5th, so I'm definitely going to check it out.
    AlisonRockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much Karli, we really appreciate your support :) If anyone has any suggestions for improvements please feel free to contact us!

    Nia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Class Charts is perfect for my new position in 7th and 8th grade! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to connect through comments....
Thanks for being thoughtful!