Writing Mentor Text Linky!

Today I'm linking up with Amanda & Stacia at Collaboration Cuties for "Must Read Mentor Texts". Today's focus is language arts. Ive chosen an oldie, but goodie to share for writing workshop, Toad by Ruth Brown. It tells the tale of a "muddy, mucky, clammy, sticky, goey toad!"

This book has amazing splatter paint illustrations that enhance the wonderfully descriptive language used in this story.
The end looms near when Toad encounters a gila monster, however, even that predator is disgusted with Toad!
The kids love this part!
Students love this book! It's short and simple, but packed with juicy words- wonderful for teaching grammar, word choice, or even "tuning in to interesting words" (CAFE). Check it out!

Signature photo ScreenShot2013-04-26at54143PM.png

4 comments

  1. Thanks for sharing! I've never heard of this book, but it looks like there is a lot of teaching potential in there!
    ~Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of this book either! It sounds great for adjectives! I will definitely have to check it out! We tell kids all the time to add adjectives to their writing but they always seem to forget! This is a great, simple way to remind them!

    Thanks for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the kids! The yuck part is hysterical. Thanks for sharing this book. :)
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karli,
    This book would go perfectly with my mentor text for adjectives too- maybe if I use more and more books with such a great focus on adjectives my little friends will be more likely to actually start using them in their writing without my prompting?? :)
    Your blog is adorable- glad to be a new follower!
    Aylin
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete

I love to connect through comments....
Thanks for being thoughtful!

Powered by Blogger.

Follow by Email

Back to Top