Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Spelling, Love it or Hate it?

Are you a good speller?  Or is spelling a weakness for you? Either way, why do you think that is?

Spelling has always been easy for me- I think because I'm a verbal and visual learner. Language, writing and grammar are natural strengths for me (math- not so much!) and I've always been interested in words.  I also remember my good old phonics workbooks from back in the day- did you have one of those? I'd never seen a "cot" in real life, but when I came upon that picture in my workbook I knew it was spelled with a short o!  As a visual learner I could also remember the way words looked when they were spelled correctly, so misspelled words were easy to spot.

When I began teaching, I taught my students spelling much the same way as it had been taught to me: pretest on Mondays, practice all week (especially homework) and then the test on Friday. As time went on, I noticed what most of us have probably seen- good grades on spelling tests do not necessarily equate to good spelling applied in writing. Like most of you, I've always strived to reflect on my practices and consider what methods are the most meaningful and effective for my students. I knew this way wasn't working, so I had to do something about it.

It was then that I discovered Words Their Way (one of the first editions) and got excited about the approach. After all, it made a lot of sense to teach students about spelling patterns, and it was differentiated to a students' developmental level.

It certainly seemed to be a step above the random spelling lists I had been using, so I dug in with full fervor....and got the same results. My students would ace their tests, yet fail to transfer their knowledge to their writing. They seemed to go through the motions of word sorting; they could do it, but it just wasn't that meaningful.

Frustration. Something was missing... until I encountered Real Spelling and The WordWorks Literacy Centre. It was through these resources that I first encountered the notion that phonics and spelling patterns are NOT the only critical components of proper spelling instruction, and that English spelling is actually predictable and highly ordered, not nearly as temperamental as it's know to be.

On July 1st, I'm heading to Kingston, Ontario to attend a spelling workshop offered by Pete Bowers of WordWorks, and I am so excited!!!
Click on the picture to read more about Pete!
I've been teaching spelling through inquiry for the past couple of years and while there is still room for improvement (on my part), I have seen a lot of growth in my students. They have demonstrated deeper comprehension for words and their meanings, and increased ownership for their own learning. I'm eager to share what I learn at the workshop with you in the upcoming weeks!

Coming full circle with this post.... are you a good spellers? How do you feel about teaching spelling? What methods have you used? I would LOVE to hear your thoughts- please leave a comment!
Signature photo ScreenShot2013-04-26at54143PM.png

7 comments:

  1. Hi Karli~Unfortunately, I go back and forth with how I feel about spelling. I am feeling my way through it. I enjoyed your post. :) I'm following via bloglovin. :)
    ~Brandee
    Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your post too...I am not a fan of the way I do spelling now. The series my school uses is a list of random words each week and definitely does not teach students to be good spellers. I'm going to have to check out this Real Spelling and Word Works Literacy Centre!
    Bethany
    FabandFunin4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh oh! I just switched to Words Their Way. Just using it for a portion of the year I noticed the "going through the motion" of word sorting. It has helped my struggling spellers but it provides little challenge for competent spellers. I'm going to check out the resources you mention you are now using. I hope you will blog about your experience at the workshop. Spelling is an area that I really am trying to improve my instruction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely let you know how the workshop goes and share what I learn!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Okay, Karli, you've caught my attention:) I've struggled with spelling, too. I had the entire Words Their Way set but ended up giving it away. I'm definitely checking out this book. Please blog about your workshop.
    Thanks!

    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete

  5. Be careful here nobody can help you here or even suggest how you can get your ex or love back,any testimonies of most spell caster here must be ignore.because most of them are scam i mean real scam which i was a victim and i got ripped of thousands of dollars because i was so anxious to get my wife back after she left me for over 2 years with my 7 years old son jerry,i have applied to 7 different spell caster here and all to no avail they all ask for same thing send your name your ex name address and picture phone number etc which i did over and over again and most of them were from west Africa until i saw a post about mama Anita spell and i decided to gave her my last trail.she ask me four things my real name,my ex and my ex mother name and $180 and said my ex will come back in 24hours, i have paid over $3000 on spell casting and courier and nothing have work for me after 3 days i was thinking about how much i have lost so far so i said let me give her a try so i called her again and send my real name,my ex and my ex mother name and the $180 because i swear it was my last try so i was waiting as she told me to wait till next day and i could not sleep that night because i really love my wife and want her back at 9pm that day i saw my wife on line on face book and she said hi at first i was shock because she never talk with me for the past a year and 9 month now i did not reply again she said are you there? i quickly reply yes and she said can we see tomorrow i said yes and she went off-line i was confused i try to chat her again but she was no more on line i could not sleep that night as i was wondering what she is going to say, by 7.am the next morning she gave me a miss call i decided not to call back as i was still on shock again she call and i pick she said can we see after work today i said yes so she end the call immediately i got off work she call me and we meet and now we are back again i call mama anita the next day thanking her for what she has done in fact i still call her and thank her as my life was not complete without my wife please be careful here i have been scam thousands of dollars if you want a true love spell then contact mama Anita (mama.anitatruelovespell@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete


  6. DO NOT FALL INTO THE HANDS OF SCAMMERS WHO CLAIMS TO BE SPELL CASTER SIMPLY BECAUSE A FEE MUST BE PAID BEFORE GETTING YOUR HELP. IT IS TRUE THAT THERE ARE REAL SPELL CASTERS WHO CAN CURE ANY TYPE OF DISEASES OR HELP YOU GET YOUR EX BACK, BUT CERTAINLY NOT ALL POST ARE REAL.

    I want you to beware of all comments you see on the internet because %100 of this post are fakes and opportunity to rip you off your hard earned money. This is why Dr. Odogu has decided to save everyone from any kinds of spiritual problem and so many people has been taken advantage of secondary to the fact that they all seek one help or the other. Herpes is a sexually transmitted virus that primarily infects the mouth and the genitals. It is transmitted by bodily fluids – penetration isn’t required for transmission, oral-oral or oral-genital contact will suffice. There are 2 types of sexually transmitted herpes: herpes type 1 and herpes type 2. Both types cause painful cold sores. It used to be that we (doctors and researchers) thought of herpes 1 as primarily infecting the mouth (“above the belt”) and herpes 2 as primarily infecting the genitals (“below the belt”), but we know now that is just not the case. Fifty percent of new cases of genital herpes are actually herpes type 1.It worked like a charm. Within a week everything had basically disappeared, except some spots that were obviously still healing,if you are having any type of this disease. For more info email us {odogu.amagbahighsolutionhome@gmail.com}

    WE ARE SPECIALIZED IN,

    1. HERPES
    2. GET YOUR EX BACK
    3. HIV/AIDS
    4. GONORRHEA
    5. LOW SPERM COUNT
    6. MENOPAUSE DISEASE
    7. EPILEPSY
    8. SEPSIS
    9. CANCER
    10. ANXIETY DEPRESSION
    11. PREGNANCY PROBLEM
    12. SHORT FORESIGHTEDNESS PROBLEM
    14. GET YOUR EX BACK
    15. PENIS ENLARGEMENT

    Contact Email: {odogu.amagbahighsolutionhome@gmail.com}

    ReplyDelete

I love to connect through comments....
Thanks for being thoughtful!