Mentor Text - Back to School!

What are your go-to books for back to school? I'm linking up with Amanda and Stacia at Collaboration Cuties for their weekly Must Read Mentor Text Linky to share one of my FAVORITES, My Mouth Is a Volcano by Julia Cook.
   
If you teach K or 1st (even 2nd grade) you know that one of the behaviors that drive you crazy you need to correct is interrupting. The little ones are (literally) just bursting with ideas that they want to sure, however, they don't always share them at the right time!

I've used this book in K and 1st with great success. Students are fascinated by the volcano metaphor- they really get it! After reading and discussing this book, a spontaneous and voluntary "volcano police force" usually develops within the classroom; the kids take it upon themselves to correct eacher other. Someone speaks out and another child announces, "Volcano mouth!" It's pretty hilarious :)

Here is the book description from Amazon:
All of Louis thoughts are very important to him. In fact, his thoughts are so important to him that when he has something to say, his words begin to wiggle, and then they do the jiggle, then his tongue pushes all of his important words up against his teeth and he erupts, or interrupts others. His mouth is a volcano! My Mouth Is A Volcano takes an empathetic approach to the habit of interrupting and teaches children a witty technique to capture their rambunctious thoughts and words for expression at an appropriate time. Told from Louis’ perspective, this story provides parents, teachers, and counselors with an entertaining way to teach children the value of respecting others by listening and waiting for their turn to speak.

What books do you like to use at the beginning of the year? I'd love to hear your suggestions in the comments :)

Don't forget to check out all of the other "back to school" titles over at Collaboration Cuties!
Signature photo ScreenShot2013-04-26at54143PM.png

7 comments

  1. This is a great book!! I used a Blurt Chart for a little while this year to get a few chronic blutters under control. I love that your kiddos call out Volcano Mouth!!

    Looking From Third to Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share this book with my 4th graders and they love it too. It really does give a nice visual to those kiddos who need that reminder.

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute!!! I love how you tie this in! And those little kiddos sure do have a story for everything, don't they? ;O)

    Thanks for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this one and LOVE it! The kids love it too--I reference "volcanoes" throughout the year... :0) Thanks so much for sharing!

    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not have this book, but it sounds great. Perfect for when I'm teaching procedures to my first graders.
    I'm happy to be a new follower and will follow you on bloglovin' as well.

    School Is a Happy Place

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha!! This would be great for 4th graders too because, believe me, they WILL interrupt if you let them! They also love to get the teacher off topic but it is more intentional with the older ones! I don't know how you keep a straight face with the little ones:) Thanks so much for sharing!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete

I love to connect through comments....
Thanks for being thoughtful!

Powered by Blogger.

Follow by Email

Back to Top