End-of-the-Year Craftivity & "Made It Monday"

Are you crafty? Do you like to do "craftivities" with your students? I consider myself pretty crafty and artistic  however, I rarely make crafts with my kids. We're involved in other creative projects. I know what you're thinking... and she calls herself a first grade teacher??!! Yeah, I'm probably the meanest primary teacher around.

Well, about a week ago, one of my students shared the following picture with me:

"Can we make these?" she asked with hopeful eyes? I was feeling a little bit guilty inspired that day, and that owl was really cute. With only a couple of school days left these kids had certainly earned a crafting opportunity! And so, I replied, "Sure, why not?"
Just as quickly as I asked the custodians, to collect the tissue tubes for me, I was inspired even more... owl/I'll... the thought just hit me! Make a play on the words! I could see it in lights, "What "OWL" Remember about First Grade". Cute!
Click to download a copy!

We painted the tubes in the morning so they would have time to dry. We went with a few bright colors for the base.

In preparation for writing about our memories, I made a slideshow in iphoto (so easy, I love it!) from a bunch of pictures from the year. We watched it as a group and talked about all of the things we had learned as well as all of the special days and activities we had done. The slideshow made it easy for the kids to reflect on the year's highlights.

Here are a couple of writing samples:
FYI, it's "UN Day" aka United Nations Day- since we are an international school, we all celebrate our home countries with a huge assembly- really cool day!
Obviously, this child gets and A+ for memory #3... hee, hee!
So then students finished making their owls- we used Avery dots for the eyes, and I fashioned a wing template out of an empty tissue box- the kids traced it on to construction paper. Finally, they added a simple brown beak and some finishing touches with gold ol' sharpies. I LOVE how they turned out- as unique as each one of my students!

...and this one is my personal favorite, mostly because I think I look a bit like this at the end of the school year. How 'bout you? LOL!


This is my first link up with Tara at 4th Grade Frolics  for Made It Monday and it was a blast! Go check out the linky to see what others are up to!


10 comments

  1. This is such a great end of the year activity! I love the writing paper to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwwwww, so cute! I love it!! Owls are my theme! I wish I had done something like this but I will remember it for next year! So cute!

    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karli!
    Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I am thrilled to have you as a follower! Your owl project is fantastic and so easy to do! Definitely a keeper for next year!
    Happy that we found each other and can stay connected!
    Have a great week!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love owls!! Those are adorable! What a sweet end-of-the-year activity!!

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the owl craftivity! I'm thinking of using it at the beginning of the year but doing something like "Owl Remember the Rules" or "Owl respect others by..."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ideas!! I hadn't even thought of that! Thanks for sharing :)
    Karli

    ReplyDelete

I love to connect through comments....
Thanks for being thoughtful!

Powered by Blogger.

Follow by Email

Back to Top