Sunday, May 26, 2013

Social Studies Mentor Text Linky

Today I'm linking up with Amanda and Stacia at Collaboration Cuties! I'm so excited because I really love their blog AND I love this book!!!

One of our first grade units is about homes around the world. We compare different types of homes, how they meet people's needs as well as inquire into how and why homes are meaningful to people. I tried to get my students to change their perspective, and this book did the trick!
Masai and I, by Virgina Kroll, tells about a little girl named Linda who imagines what life must be like for her imagined kin in East Africa. Linda compares various aspects of her life to those of the Masai people. The double page illustrations make it easy for the reader to be transported to Africa and look at life from a different perspective. Here are a couple photos- I apologize for the glare of my flash!
Linda compares where they sleep.

She also compares pets, and even the notion that people should own animals.

My kids were mesmerized! I especially love the ending because it hits home the idea that people are more alike than different. 
Homes and families are built on love! 

Oh, I just love it! I can see this book being appealing to multiple grades, and being a useful mentor text for writing workshop. Check it out - I hope you'll agree!

Thanks to Amanda and Stacia for hosting this awesome linky!
Signature photo ScreenShot2013-04-26at54143PM.png

7 comments:

  1. This looks like a great book. The illustrations are amazing. :)
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog through the linky party! I am a new follower! Thanks for the great book suggestion :)
    Bethany
    FabandFunin4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great book suggestion. I really like how they combine visuals of two different places into one.
    I found you through the link up!

    matt
    Digital: Divide & Conquer

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like such a cute book. I will have to check it out. I found your blog through the linky party. I'm a new follower.

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog through the mentor text link up. Thanks so much for sharing this text, as I have not seen this one. I am a new follower and will be back to read future posts...

    All the best--
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great book!! I believe that I read this book to my class a few years ago but then I put this book in my classroom library! I need to get it back out! What a great book to use for compare and contrast!

    Thanks so much for linking up!! :O)
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so great, so many teachable points. I love the illustrations too.

    Thank you for sharing!
    Christy
    Teaching Tales Along the Yellow Brick Road

    ReplyDelete

I love to connect through comments....
Thanks for being thoughtful!