Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Birth of a Blog

It's the end of April and the school year is winding down. There's a countdown going in most classrooms. Teachers and students alike are ready for summer break! Who starts a teaching blog now??? Me, I guess!

This was my 17th year as a teacher, and while I've changed grade levels before (PK, K, and 3rd), I felt that it was especially challenging because I switched grade levels from kindergarten to first. There's quite a difference, and I knew that going in! You can't deny it- first grade is when children are expected to learn their foundational skills and knowledge for... well, basically everything! No pressure.

This year has been A LOT of work, but I'm so glad I made the switch! I love teaching first grade! I've found this age of students to be simply delightful- so ready to be independent, yet they still adore and look to their teacher to show them the way. They are enthusiastic and playful, yet also serious about their endeavors; I love the passion and total commitment they bring to each and every expectation that's set for them. The growth that they make is so incredibly rewarding. I thought kindergarten was the most inspiring grade, but first has captured my heart!

The best thing about this year has been the journey I've been on. I guess as this school year comes to a close, I've been reflecting more and more about what's been happening along the way- thus, the birth of a blog!

I'm happy to say that I continue to grow as a teacher and expect that I'll never stop. It's my hope that this blog will allow me a way to continue to reflect on my teaching methods and what and how my students are learning. I also look forward to exchanging ideas with others; I always feel like talking with a colleague leads to the best kind of "Ah-ha!" moments. I hope you will join me as I continue on my journey in "creating a thoughtful classroom!"

2 comments:

  1. This is such a nice beginning Kari. To answer your question you AND I create a blog at the end of the year :). I agree. It's a great way to reflect and share the zillion little things that go on each day.

    Best of luck!

    I think we share a lot of the same philosophies.

    Shelley

    The Perks of Teaching Primary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just stopped by your blog- we do share the same love of teaching :) Your blog looks great!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I love to connect through comments....
Thanks for being thoughtful!